Building Back Better - Mainstreaming Risk Reduction after Disasters

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
Hi guys, FYI I am doing a web-based research on the concept of "Building Back Better" and getting some case-studies from around the world.

As this is a working opportunity for architects and engineers and unfortunately now in Spain there are many professionals interested in new careers according to their technical background, for those interested I wil try to summurarize the best findings on this topic, ok?

oskalecheva

Esmeralda
Hi @jcidon.

I haven't ever heard of that concept. Does it have something to do with ancient building techiniques? (such us building with adobe, mud... you know, the way our ancestors would do). If it is, I'll be glad to know about what you find.

Best regards!

Excuse me!. I didn't read the previous post. It seems to have more to do with building after earthquakes. Anyway it looks interesting enough too.

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
I haven't ever heard of that concept. Does it have something to do with ancient building techiniques? (such us building with adobe, mud... you know, the way our ancestors would do). If it is, I'll be glad to know about what you find
It is related to any kind of techniques that are currently available in different communities around the world. It is about improving them! (maybe not the techniques but population awareness and local skills).

It seems to have more to do with building after earthquakes. Anyway it looks interesting enough too
And it it not just about earthquakes, there are different kinds of natural disasters such as cyclones/hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis... Unfortunately and due to climate change, nowadays climatological-related events are increasingly more frequent.

Cheers!!!

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
The following video easily explains the beneficts of investing in Disaster Risk Reduction:

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
The Built Environment Professions in Disaster Risk Reduction and Response Guide

This document is a collaborative production, written and edited by a research team from the Max Lock Centre at the University of Westminster, with input from RICS, ICE, RTPI and RIBA, as well as international development agency representatives.

The Guide is intended to demonstrate the value of using built environment professionals more widely in disaster risk reduction and response and giving early attention to engaging the right expertise to address the problems of building, infrastructure and land. Targeted at non-technical decision makers in humanitarian agencies, the Guide is also relevant to all international development agencies, governments at national, sub-national and local levels, NGOs, and to people affected by disasters.

The guide outlines the responsibilities and capabilities of surveyors, engineers, planners and architects in reducing disaster risks and responding to disaster impacts. It looks at the role that built environment professionals can and should offer in supporting and empowering communities and the groups most vulnerable to disasters, especially in developing countries. It sets out how the different built environment professions can be engaged, individually or in combination, at different stages in the various phases of disaster risk management and response.

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
International day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR)

The International day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR) is being celebrated on the 13 October every year.

The impact of disaster, including floods, cyclones, drought, fires, earthquakes among others on men and women and girls and boys, on their livelihood, on socio-economic infrastructure and the environment is well known and women and girls continue to be the most vulnerable and consequently the most affected.

The theme for this year is “Women & Girls the (in)visible force of resilience”.

The celebration of IDDRR is an opportunity to promote a global culture of disaster reduction, including disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness. It is an opportunity to:
  • Draw attention to the fact that women and girls efforts to protect and rebuild their communities before and after the disasters are often not recognized and that the “invisibility” is social and culturally constructed.
  • Recognize that their ability to contribute is hampered by the lack of inclusion and misunderstanding of gender relation and there is a need to take bold actions to protect the most vulnerable.
  • Celebrate the contribution that women and girls use to undertake before, during and after disasters to rebuilt their community and recognize that they are agents of change.
  • Raise the stories of action and initiative of women and girls and men and boys, and also seeks to highlight the obstacles that prevent them from participating in decision-making and actions for Disaster Risk Reduction at all levels.

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
I want to share with you an interesting IEC material recently developed in the Philippines, based on "Key Messages" for "Building Back Safer" shelters:
  1. Build on Strong Foundations
  2. Tie-down from bottom up
  3. Brace against the storm
  4. Use strong joints
  5. A good house needs a good roof
  6. Site your house safely
  7. A simple shape will keep you safe
  8. Be prepared
You can see different details on how to achieve each key message, categorized by "weak", "strong", "stronger". Details are contextualized to the country.

Last 8th November, the Philippines and rest of the world celebrated the anniversary of Haiyan typhoon landfall.

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
One year after Haiyan super-typhoon impacted the Philippines, another typhoon affected the same area.
In Samar, ICRC built about 4000 shelters; this time only one shelter was destroyed!

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
STOP DISASTERS! This online game simulates natural hazards and serves as an interactive educational tool for children aged 9-16. Player's role is to plan and construct a safer environment for their local population by assessing disaster risks and limiting damage inflicted during a natural hazard strike. Advice, both good and bad, is offered throughout the game.
http://www.stopdisastersgame.org

jcidon

Moderador
Miembro del equipo
Last Friday 13th October, the UN celebrated the International Day for Disaster Reduction, with the theme "Home Safe Home".